Thursday, June 26, 2008

Zion National Park





The first weekend in UT, I went with Melissa and some friends of hers to Zion National Park, its just north of St George. We got to the campsite around 8 so it had cooled down decently. 2 of the girls slept outside but I prefer to have some protection from the wild (even if is only kept by a zipper and some tough fabric)

The trip was fun but a few challenges

1) No one had directions to give until the first group left Thursday and could call with them on Friday

2) We ventured on a hike that went forever and no one seemed to have a plan as to how far we would go.

3) We couldn't reserve a campsite that late so we did primitive camping and I actually found myself using a bush. At night it was no problem. But the next morning, I foudn it challenging to be far enough from the site, but covered so highway travelers above wouldn't look down and see either. I never thought I'd be so grateful for a dingy public restroom after that experience!
The hike we did was called the "Narrows" Basically its a bout a mile hike on paved cement that's pretty easy. But then you get to the river and the next 2 or 3 miles you hike crossing back and forth across the river. Some points I was waist deep in water. The first little bit of water was a tad cold but as it got warmer, the water was refreshing. We all had a few scratches/bruising from falling down when the currents were a bit strong but it was quite the adventure. Overall the trip was a blast (heat included haha) and knowing what I know for next time, I would go again!

No comments: