1. My mom runs it and she usually utilizes our local-ness to the starting line anyways.
2. You get a medal
3. I hadn't done a 10K since October and wanted to push myself to do better. 5K's are fun but are no longer challenging to me, though I guess I could push myself to run faster and see what happens.
4. I wanted to brag about it of course!
My mom spent the night previous to the race and of course we stayed up way too late being distracted with other things. Both of us were on about 4 hours of sleep. Thanks to my 2 bathroom stops (apparently I hydrated too much before and during the race) my mom caught up and we crossed the finish line together. I love running with my mom. She's a champ and despite her scoliosis, she runs like a boss!
After a lovely 3-hour nap, I met up with my parents for Stadium of Fire. The fireworks are always really cool and this year they had Carly Rae Jeppson and Kelly Clarkson performing. Both were really fun to watch. You can tell they both love performing and can feel their energy. I admit at first I thought I was going to be disappointed by Kelly Clarkson as her first 2 songs were not all that impressive. But once she was warmed up she was right back into her powerhouse mode. I missed not having sisters to stand up and sing along with me. I sat quietly, with my parents who weren't too sure what to think of the music.
They used several dance studios within Utah county to create this routine which was a tribute to the Navy. It was...interesting and very modern but props to these girls for performing in front of a crowd of 60,000.
My favorite part was when they had these giant "slinkies" that they climbed into and danced in. The effect was really cool.
I'm grateful I got to hang out with my parents and enjoy the evening. 4th of July is one of those holidays where some things have to be done/seen to feel like a real holiday to me. A big fireworks show is one of those and I'm glad my husband allows that. I sure missed homemade ice cream but perhaps that will come with Pioneer Day.
No comments:
Post a Comment