The recipe that started it all: Louisiana Style Skillet Fried Chicken. I saw it on the Rachael Ray show and had to try it. Since my husband served his mission in South Carolina, I have wanted to make him fried chicken since day one of our marriage. But frying has never been my specialty, and afraid of starting a grease fire, I avoided it. But this recipe was too good to pass up. Of course it had some intimidating ingredients such as cayenne pepper and hot sauce (neither of which I even owned until now). Plus, I am tired of all those famous blog ladies who make these "to die for" recipes when in the end, I could have died without ever trying them and never felt deprived. Good old Rachael definitely delivers.
The overall process of making it was pretty simple. Season the chicken and let it stand overnight. Bring back to room temperature, dip in some liquid, toss in flour, and fry away.
The Lineup
Fun tip: If you don't have a thermometer, or are like me and fear measuring in the wrong place, set the stove to med/high. After a few minutes, use the top of a wooden spoon and stick the tip into the pan. If it bubbles around it, the oil is ready for frying. Magic I know!As you can see, I cleared my stove area just in case a fire started! A little paranoid perhaps....
I also made the suggested creole ranch style potato salad. Probably would have been better had I used fresh seasonings rather than dried. Definitely learned my lesson. My chicken was topped with bread and butter pickles and some honey. Mark ate his with hot sauce, honey and ranch. I'm looking forward to leftovers tonight!
For anyone who'd like to try it here is the link with even a video to go along with it.



