Wednesday night the 27th, my family got together for the 2nd year and held Pie Night. Thankfully we all learned from last year and no one overate TOO much sweets. I'm not sure where some of the younger kids put all of their treats. Some of my nieces and nephews are like a bottomless pit! I volunteered to make our family's unique traditional cornucopia. My oldest sister started it years ago and it's not a Thanksgiving without it now.
I didn't get a chance to take a picture of it before it was partially eaten Wednesday night. But it even had the curved tail and everything. The wax paper was so the cup I framed it around wouldn't get stuck in....I forgot to take that out before I took the picture- and take off the plastic wrap.
With some subtle hints, Mark made me his annual turkey hand. He drew one for me one year on his mission and has always drawn at least 1 each year since we've been married. In case you're confused like I am, that's a wing on the side of the turkey....silly me.
I also made an apple pie for dessert. It was sort of like an apple crisp with the oatmeal topping but the crust was the same oatmeal, flour and butter mixture. It turned out pretty well and most everyone who tried it liked it. (Thanks to ourbestbites.com . They have yet to ever let our family down on recipes)
This year we had 2 Thanksgivings. We had an early lunch with Mark's brother at his house just the 3 of us. I'm not going to lie...it was nice but a little odd for me to have it so quiet and simple. We then drove out to my parents' house for Thanksgiving with 16 other family members. As usual, we were the last to leave but benefited by getting to play a good game of chicken foot with my parents, young sister and her husband. As usual, I lost pretty badly. I always play ready to win, but really I mostly play to enjoy the family time.
Happy Thanksgiving!
No comments:
Post a Comment