Wednesday, June 24, 2009

life as it currently stands

I feel I've been here long enough (2 months) to know what I like, and say what I don't without sounding homesick (though I'm sort of counting down till August 10th).

Things I Don't Like
  • Living with 4 girls in a small apartment with little privacy wears on me.
  • Romanians stare/glare at us no matter how small of a group we travel in. We look like freaks of nature to them or something.
  • Customer Service does not exist here. Only at Kauffland can you sometimes find a checker who will smile and say hello/goodbye
  • The twilight bark that goes on every night from 11pm until 4 am. This makes sleeping with windows open almost impossible.
  • Being so far away from my family and friends
  • Feeling dumb when I try to communicate and can't with people due to language barriers.
  • I have trouble sleeping if I go to bed before 1am (which it's 1:30 now)
  • Rum Cake...or anything Rum flavored
  • Not being able to go to a doctor when I have an ingrown toe nail, or a toothache from what I'm pretty sure is a cavity they failed to find in April.

Things I Do Like
  • The Branch here has awesome members
  • Cute little ladies with gold teeth at the piata that sell gross/wierd cheese
  • The piata itself and how it works (people sell fruit from their farms to provide income for their families)
  • The exchange rate is still 3RON/1USD
  • My kids I work with!
  • Getting letters from my missionary (as always)
  • Emails from family members
  • The fact that I'm getting better at cooking...even from scratch!
  • I can have a bad day at home, but still go and love my time at the orphanage or "spital"
  • Little by little, I can read more fluently The Book of Mormon in Romanian!
  • Maxibonne ice cream bar/sandwhich thing I tried tonight for the first time
  • Longosi
  • Pretzels from the bread booth by the tram station
I agree with another one of the girls in what she said today. The experience here is great, it's something I wouldn't give back for...well all the money I spent getting here. I love my kids and the memories I have from being here. But at the same time, I'll be ready to go home in August and get back into my normal life with school.

1 comment:

Sapp Family said...

I bet you are ready to come home! I would be if I was away for as long as you've been! I miss ya!