Friday, July 3, 2009

On the road again...

Okay so Brasov was AMAZING! BEAUTIFUL! INSPIRING! It's a big tourist city so it actually took people by surprise sometimes when we whipped out a little Romanian here and there. We ate some authentic food. Since being there I have developed 2 new obsessions 1) Mamaliga- corn meal turned into an oatmeal consistency 2) Fornetti- pastry/doughnut type food that is filled with sweet cheese (brunza dulce). I even skipped my friday longosi to get Fornetti instead * gasp*

I am sad to say that I really didn't get enough pictures to do the city justice, but here are a few.

Part of the main city square with old looking buildings. Behind be is the Black Church which caught fire in 1600's that is still standing today. Strangely enough, it had a painting that very closely resembled the ensignia for our high school....







This is Pelis castle where King Carol I lived during the summers in the 1800's. The next few and last kings of Romania also lived here. Down the road is a mini castle called Pelisor which he built for his daughter when she was married. We toured both and the insides were breathtaking!











The Hollywood-like Brasov sign. We hiked up to it Sunday. See the video for the beautiful view!













Dinner on Monday night. Underneat the egg is Mamaliga. Around it is meat which, on the English menu was translated as "Special minced meat".....Pretty sure I ate some veal...but whatever looked questionable, I I left on my plate. Hey, don't knock it until you've tried it!

1 comment:

Sapp Family said...

I really wanna tour some castles someday! I bet the insides were beautiful! You probably weren't allowed to take pictures of the inside...otherwise you probably would have posted them...bummer! Guess I'll have to definitely go one of these days. Love ya!