Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Our New Home

We are finally moved in and settled into our new abode. I'm entering my 2nd full week of work and first week of camps. Thus far, the EFY chants and 14-year-old screams haven't been too horrible yet. It's good preparation for fall semester.

Despite the elegant cinderblock that makes up our walls, we have made the apartment rather homey. There is a lot of cabinet and storage space both in the kitchen and bedroom, plus another major storage area at the end of the hallway where the bathroom is. The apartment is even a tad bigger than our last, which has allowed us to keep all of our furniture without storing any of it. I do have to say, one of the wierdest parts of the apartment is the "lazy susan" that has about a 6 by 6 inch diameter. (#2 wierd is the public restroom style toilet we have...the kind with the skinny metal handle that works in a wierd way to flush.)

Here are some pictures: (Just for you Mom L!)

This is the kitchen...the utensil holder is a new purchase since we only have 1 drawer for silverware/utensils.
Our living room. My work computer is by the door (with the cool opening to use during my "office hours"). Our brand new couch is making a cameo appearance in the right corner. Because of the narrow hallway that is just outside our door and light fixtures that recede from the ceiling, full size couches do not fit in these apartments. A loveseat is not ideal but we sure were grateful to have a couch after a week of waiting for one!

Our bedroom. I didn't take pictures for a 360 but to the left of the bed in this picture I found a few stray nails in the wall and hung one or two pictures so it doesn't look TOO bare.At the foot of our bed, we have all this cabinet and drawer space. With our dresser the middle cabinets and drawers are pretty much empty...I suppose this means I don't have enough clothes!
There have been some adjustments with the move: slower internet, serious lack of neighbors/socialness, and now having to use coin laundry downstairs. In applying for this job two months ago, I felt fairly confident about my first interview but after the second, I didn't know what to think. We are grateful the Lord provided this opportunity that not only provides financially, but also gives me an opportunity to have a job that I will (hopefully) enjoy. Although I was never a social butterfly in college, I love the energy these freshman come in with. I remember those similar feelings starting college, defining my personal identity as I was living on my own, and learning from roommates, teachers, and others around me. I look forward to being a part of their first-year experience.

No comments: